Most self employed individuals still find it a challenge when paying NHIF premiums and penalties. National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a Kenya government state corporation with a mandate to provide health insurance to Kenyans. MPs recently passed a bill making NHIF mandatory for all Kenyans. NHIF requires that one pays their monthly premiums not later than the 9th of every month to avoid incurring late payment penalties.
How to Pay NHIF premiums through Mpesa
Here are the steps to follow when making your monthly NHIF contributions via Mpesa:
- Go to your M-PESA menu and select Lipa na M-PESA
- Choose Pay Bill and enter the NHIF Mpesa Business number 200222
- Select Account number and enter your National ID Number
- Enter the amount (Ksh. 500 per month)
- Enter your M-PESA Pin Confirm all details are correct then press OK
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from M-PESA immediately.
How to Pay NHIF premiums via Airtel money
You can also pay your NHIF monthly premiums using Airtel money. Follow the simple steps below to make your remittances to NHIF via Airtel Money.
- Go to Airtel Money menu
- Select Make Payments
- Go to Pay Bills
- Choose ‘Other’
- Enter the NHIF Airtel Money Pay bill number: 823363
- Put the amount you wish to pay
- For Reference, enter your ID number
- Click Send
Wait for a confirmation message from the Airtel money service
How to Pay NHIF Penalties via Mpesa
You can also pay your NHIF penalties via Mpesa. Follow the simple steps below.
- On your M-PESA select Lipa na M-PESA
- Use 200222 as the NHIF Mpesa Business number
- For the Account number, enter your National ID Number followed by letter y at the end. E.g 123456789y. ( NHIF will treat the payment as a penalty).
- Enter the amount (Ksh. 250 for every month you have defaulted)
- Enter your M-PESA Pin number
- Confirm all details are correct then press OK
- Wait for a confirmation message.
Payment is now pretty much easy, right?