Linda Mama is a programme targeting expectant Kenyan mothers who cannot afford any medical cover including NHIF to cater for their maternity requirements. Under this cover, mothers are covered for; pregnancy care, delivery in hospital, post-delivery care and outpatient baby care.
NHIF Linda Mama registration
Pregnant mothers who want to benefit from this free maternity program need to ensure that they are properly registered for the program. Failure to do so will result in them having to pay for their healthcare from their pockets. Therefore, expectant mothers should register in advance to ensure that they receive the service without any problems or complications. When properly registered, the mother and child will have access to quality healthcare for up to 6 months after birth.
What are the registration requirements?
Here is what you need to know before you start signing up for the Linda Mama cover
- Pregnant women of age 18 years and above will be registered using their national identification cards and Antenatal care records.
- Pregnant women under 18 years will be registered using their guardians’ national identification cards and Antenatal care record.
- Pregnant women without national identification cards or guardians will be registered using Antenatal care records.
How do I register for the Linda Mama program?
There are several ways you can register for Linda mama;
- Register online through USSD *155#
How to register for Linda mama online
- Dial *155#
- Select the language you prefer to use i.e. English or Kiswahili
- Select Free Maternity
- Choose who is doing the registration i.e. beneficiary, guardian, hospital
- Enter the Identification Number
- Enter First name and Last name
- Enter year of birth
- Select county
- Confirm Linda mama registration and click ok
2. Register via the NHIF registration portal
The process is equally easy and straightforward. It involves the following steps.
- Go to NHIF registration portal.
- Click Self Employed, Employed or Employer.
- Enter your National ID/Passport/Alien ID.
- Fill in all other form fields.
- Attach a scanned copy of your ID or passport.
- Attach passport size photo.
- If married, attach your spouse’s marriage certificate.
- Click to Confirm.
3. At NHIF service points and Huduma centers countrywide
4. At NHIF contracted Health facilities
Upon registration, a Linda mama membership number will be sent to you via text message that you will use to access free maternity services at an NHIF contracted hospital
What does Linda Mama cover?
Antenatal care-caters for 4 antenatal visits
The Linda Mama initiative offers a comprehensive ante-natal care package. This package comes with various services, such as preventing transmission of HIV from HIV positive mothers to their unborn baby. Mothers who test HIV positive will receive ARVs as required. In addition to this, expectant mothers will receive a range of healthcare services that include preventive services, including tetanus vaccinations, malaria prophylaxis, and the basic antenatal profile for healthcare. They will also receive free deworming, iron and folate pills to maintain the required iron levels.
Postnatal care-caters for 4 postnatal visits
This package extends from the time the placenta is expelled up to six weeks after delivery. This package also comes with four personalized visits and assessments after birth. For the newborn baby, this package is inclusive of timely immunizations and a Vitamin A supplement. For the mother, this package comes with various check-ups to monitor her post-natal progress.
Linda Mama also comes with a long list of available benefits to the mother and the newborn baby for a year. These benefits include:
- Conditions and complications during pregnancy
- Skilled delivery.
- Neo-natal care.
- Outpatient services
- Inpatient services.
- Care for infant outpatient services.
Linda mama expires 6 months after delivery. It is ideal for one to register as an NHIF member in the event of any complication arising from giving birth after the expiry period, as it will not be covered under Linda Mama .
How much do you pay for Linda mama?
Linda mama is a free maternity programme run by NHIF. This means you can access all maternity services without paying a single cent.
Just walk into a hospital and walk out without having to worry about the hospital bill.
It also covers caesarean section which we know can be quite costly and also covers child immunization services after birth.
Which hospitals accept Linda mama?
Linda mama is offered in all NHIF accredited public hospitals and some low-cost private NHIF contracted hospitals. Fortunately, there are numerous Linda Mama hospitals in the country.
Most of the hospitals that NHIF accredits offer free maternal healthcare under the programme. The hospitals are adequately equipped to provide quality healthcare for expectant women. After the service, the patient has to fill the NHIF Linda Mama claim form. The form confirms that a member received a particular service for which NHIF will compensate the hospital.
NHIF Linda Mama programme is making strides towards improving access to quality healthcare for expectant mothers and their newborns. It is also aimed at providing social protection to all Kenyans. To make this possible, NHIF has an expanded network and collaborates with public and private facilities.
How does Linda Mama card look like?
The card has the name of the beneficiary, her identification card and Linda Mama cover number, designated hospital name and code, plus registration and expiry date.