Importance of having NHIF cover
Being a member of the NHIF accords you some benefits including;
- Highly subsidized hospital bills. NHIF may cover some or your entire medical bill depending on the hospital and type of treatment. This helps you save a lot of money in the long run.
- NHIF comes in handy especially when the medical treatment needed is unplanned and an emergency.
- With an NHIF cover, your spouse and registered dependents also receive medical cover.
National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) now has an online portal that makes it easy for members to register and enjoy the benefits of its super covers. Below is a step by step procedure on how to register for NHIF online. Also get to know how to make monthly payments via mpesa paybill for the self-employed
How to register for NHIF online
The procedure for NHIF online registration for those who are self-employed is as follows below:
- Go to: NHIF registration portal
- Click Self Employed
- Enter your National ID/Passport/Alien ID
- Fill in all other form fields.
- Attach a Scanned Copy of Your ID or passport.
- Attach Passport size Photo.
- If married, attach your spouse’s Marriage Certificate.
- Click to Confirm. Your application will be submitted if you filled all the details correctly
NHIF registration requirements
- A copy of your national ID
- A copy of your spouse’s national ID and marriage certificate where applicable
- For children over 6 months, a birth certificate is needed
- Your employers NHIF code (if you are employed)
- A colored passport photo. It is also necessary to attach passport photos of your spouse or dependents where applicable
Paying for NHIF through Mpesa paybill
Below are steps on how to pay for NHIF contribution via Mpesa paybill.
- Choose Pay Bill option
- Enter the NHIF Business no.200222
- Enter the contributor’s national ID number as the account number
- Enter amount
- Enter your M-PESA pin and confirm the details.
A confirmation message will be sent to your phone.
The NHIF USSD allows you to access various NHIF selfcare services.
For new members , you can dial *155# on any phone toll free and register as an NHIF member.
After registration you will get NHIF memebr number by SMS. You will now be able to access NHIF selfcare services which include Payment of Monthly contributions, Payment of Penalties and Arrears.
You will also be able to select a hospital(s) of your choice for the main member and the dependants. At any time you can change the selected hospital for each member.
Services covered by NHIF
- Inpatient services health cover
- Outpatient services health cover
- Civil Servants schemes health cover
- Linda Mama services health cover
- NHIF Supa/Super cover
Common Questions Asked By Self Employed Kenyans Registering For NHIF
1. How Much You Will Be Required to Pay for Initial Registration
You will be required to pay KES 1500 after initial registration. This will load your card for three months as it awaits activation after 60 days (2 months)
2. How Long It Takes Process Membership Registration
Immediately after registration, a member will be notified of their NHIF membership number. Processing and issuing of membership cards are done within a period of 14 working days if all documents are provided.
3. How Long It Will Take to Start Using Your Card
After registration, your card will become active after 60 days (2 months).
NHIF Contact Details
- NHIF phone Contacts: (020) 272 3246, 020) 272 3281/2, (020) 272 3290 OR 020 2723255
- NHIF office location in Nairobi Kenya: Haile Selassie and Ragati road, Nairobi Opposite Kenya National Library,
- NHIF official website: http://www.nhif.or.ke
Check out a list of all accredited NHIF Hospitals in Kenya here.