CDS stands for the Central Depository System. This is a computer system that facilitates holding of securities in electronic accounts and facilitate faster and easier processing of transactions for NSE securities (shares and bonds)
Present the following documents (these are the requirements to open CDS account in Kenya) to your broker (bank or any of the individual stock brokers in Kenya).
- 2 recently taken pass-port size photographs
- Original National ID/passport (or the original incorporation certificate if you are a company plus the individual IDs/passports of the directors and their passport size photographs).
- Bank statement (some brokers ask for this or a utility bill)
How to open a CDS account in Kenya
Here is how to open a CDS account in Kenya (a CDS account is a virtual account –almost like your MPESA account- where your shares are stored).
- Visit the Central Bank of Kenya website www.centralbank.go.ke and download mandate card. (Individual) for individual investors and Mandate card (Corporate) for corporate investors
- Print the appropriate mandate card and fill out your details.
- Attach a recently taken coloured passport size photograph and a copy of investor’s Kenyan National Identity Card (ID) or Passport. These documents MUST be certified by your bankers (A local commercial bank based in Kenya).
- Have the filled in CDS mandate card certified by your Commercial bank.
- The investors Commercial bank will certify the completed CDS mandate card by way of appending the bank’s stamp and signatures of two of their authorised signatories on the space provided
- Scan the completed CDS mandate card and email to email@example.com
7. Send the physical mandate and attachments by post to:
Financial Markets Department
P.O. Box 60000- 00200, Nairobi,
8. Once the CDS account has been opened, the investor will be notified of the CDS account number via email as provided on the CDS mandate card submitted to CBK. A formal letter of notification will follow thereafter.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION OF BIDS (APPLICATION) FOR THE BOND
1. Once the investor has been allocated and notified of their CDS account number, they can then proceed to apply for the Treasury bond that is on offer.
2. To apply for the bond, download the bond application form
3. Fill in the following key details:
• Issue Number
• Value date
• Total Face Value – Amount the investor is willing to invest in Kenya Shillings
• (Minimum Kes 100,000 and additional in Multiples of Kes. 50,000 with a maximum
of Kes 20 million per CDS account per investor for)
• Interest Rate (Price)
4. Investor’s details- complete the investor’s details as provided required in the form. i.e.
Name, CDS Number, telephone contact etc.
5. Append a signature on the application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax
6. Please note that the deadline for submission of application forms.
7. Do not make payments for the bond until notified by the Central Bank of Kenya of the actual amount to pay. It is the responsibility of the investor to contact Central Bank of Kenya to obtain details of the tap sale results.
DISSEMINATION OF RESULTS FOR SUCCESSFUL APPLICATIONS
All successful applicants will be notified of the allocation and Amount they are required to pay by contacting Central Bank of Kenya on Tel No. +254-020-2860000.
MODE OF PAYMENT FOR SUCCESSFUL BIDS
1. Deadline for payment for successful bids is on the following Monday at 2.p.m
2. All successful applicants will be required to pay the exact payable amount (no less,
3. Investors whose applications were successful will instruct their local commercial banks
to remit the payable amounts.
For any queries and information, please contact
Financial Markets Department
P.O. Box 60000-00200,
Or email email@example.com
How to open a CDS Account online in Kenya
You can do that either through any good online share trading Mobile App such as ‘AIB DigiTrader’ (you can download it from GooglePlaystore / Windows/Apple store).
Also, you may choose a USSD service.
- Simply press USSD *543# (this USSD code takes you to AIB-AXYS capital platform).
- Next, click “open new trading account”.
After you submit the required details, your CDSC number will be sent to you within one working day.
- Be sure to use your CDSC account details to register officially on the AIB-AXYS platform(online platform/Mobile App).
- You will finally receive a login-name and password.
If you’re using USSD, once again dial *543# to activate your trading account -an SMS message with your PIN is sent to you.