All Kenyans who attain the age of 18 years are eligible to issuance of Identity Cards
Persons who have acquired Kenyan citizenship by registration are also entitled to issuance of identity cards
Kenyans with Dual/Multiple citizenships are required to declare dual citizenship. click here for more information
Persons who have lost Kenyan citizenship are required to apply and regain before applying for any Kenyan documents. Click here for more information.
Requirements for Applying for a National ID Card
- Birth certificate or baptism certificate
- School leaving certificate
- Parents identity card
- Death certificate ( if parents are deceased)
- Two passport size photos
How to apply In-Person
- In order to apply for a new national identity card one needs to visit the Office of the registrar of persons in your District.
- You will be required to submit the required documents TO THE OFFICER in charge when making the application.
- After submitting the required documents you will be issued with an application form number 23 to fill and submit back to the registrar of person’s office. This form can be found in any office of a register of persons and all District officers’ offices.
- Once you have the form 23, you need to fill it then take it to the chief or assistant chief of your area. This is for verification that you are from that area. After the form has been signed by the chief or the assistant chief, you take it to the district officer’s office for it to be scrutinized and verified. This is followed by signing of the form by the District officer.
- After that, the form goes through the following stages: Fingerprints section- The applicant’s fingerprints impressions are taken; Attachment of the passport photos. Then form is send to the officers responsible for processing of the national ID.
- One is the issued with a waiting card as an acknowledgement of application.
- You will use the waiting card to collect the national ID once it has been issued.
- The national ID takes approximately a period of one month to complete out.
The information one has to fill in the form 23 includes:
- Your name
- Date of birth
- Father’s name
- Mother’s name
- Marital Status
- Husband’s name
- Husbands ID no.
- District of birth
- Home district
- Sub Location
- Village Estate
- Home address
- A check box for the necessary documents needed for the application of the ID process.
- Your signature (to certify all the information you have given is correct) and date of application. This is also where your right hand and left hand thumb prints are placed
- The name, signature and stamp of the; Chief, Assistant Chief, District Officer, District Commissioner
- Name and signature of registering officer, the office of issue (where you have applied for the ID), district and stamp are also filled in this step.