Section 8(3) of the Kenya citizenship and immigration act, 2011: -Provides that every dual Citizen shall disclose his or her other citizenship in the prescribed manner within three months of becoming a dual citizen.
The current constitution unlike the previous one, allows for dual citizenship. A Kenyan citizen who acquires citizenship of any other country after 27th, August 2010 does not lose Kenyan citizenship.
Step 1: Make Online Application
- Create a log in account within the Government of Kenya Single Sign On portal. eFNS portal
- Log in using the account you have created above to access eFNS portal.
- Once logged in the eFNS portal, select the “Apply now” Link.
- Click on the “Submit Applications” tab and select the Dual Citizenship tab.
- Confirm, if you have the following required documents;
i. Two passport size photographs
ii. Copy of birth certificate
iii. Copy of Kenyan passport
iv. Copy of Kenyan identity card
v. Copy of the other country’s passport
vi. Copy of the other country’s Citizenship certificate
vii. Applicants must ensure that they are lawfully present in the country as they wait for application to be finalized
viii. Copy of the Police Clearance Certificate
6. Verify that you have the required document/pre-requisites and you meet the relevant criteria before you apply. Click on the “Apply Now” button on your right to apply.
7. Fill in the required information and upload your passport photo picture and police clearance certificate. Click on the ’’continue’’ button to proceed to print your application.
8. You should then print your filled application and present to the immigration department offices or Kenya missions abroad.
Step 2: Visit immigration offices or Kenya missions abroad to complete application
- After printing the application and invoice you are required to visit an immigration office in Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu or Kenya missions abroad for collection of fingerprints, digital photo and signature and also to drop required documents.
- You must appear in person for digital photo and biometrics capture in immigration office or Kenyan mission.
- You must present the following documents to the offices:
i. Two copies of printed online application form 3 (Print the form after completing your application)
ii. Two passport size photographs
iii. Copy of birth certificate
iv. Copy of Kenyan passport
v. Copy of Kenyan identity card
vi. Copy of the other country’s passport
vii. Copy of the other country’s Citizenship certificate
viii. Applicants must ensure that they are lawfully present in the country as they wait for application to be finalized
ix. Copy of the Police Clearance Certificate
4. After lodging the application for dual citizenship the application will be ready for collection at the immigration office after 15 working days.
5. You shall receive automatic notifications via email and on your online account about the progress of your application.
ALSO READ: How to regain Kenyan Citizenship