What is a PIN?
A PIN is a Personal Identification Number.
It is a unique digit used to identify persons, while interacting or transacting business with Kenya Revenue Authority, other Government agencies and service providers.
Uses of the KRA PIN
Companies & Partnership can authorise Tax Agents to use their PIN only for tax affairs.
Companies & Partnerships use their PIN;
- When filing returns, submitting notices or other documents as required under a tax law; or
- On any documentation required for a transaction specified under the First Schedule
What transactions require a PIN?
Transactions that require a PIN as listed in the First Schedule include:
- Registration of titles and stamping of instruments.
- Approval of development plans and payment of water deposits.
- Registration of motor vehicles, transfer of motor vehicles, and licensing of motor vehicles.
- Registration of business names.
- Registration of companies.
- Underwriting of insurance policies.
- Trade licensing.
- Importation of goods and customs clearing and forwarding.
- Payment of deposits for power connections.
- All contracts for the supply of goods and services to Government Ministries and public bodies.
- Opening accounts with financial institutions and investment banks.
How do I register for a PIN?
To register for a KRA PIN, you need to provide your ID card.
1. Visit iTax, to initiate the process.
2. Click on New “PIN registration”
3. Select Taxpayer type “Non-Individual”
4. Mode of registration (choose either online form or upload form)
5. Business type as “Others” and select appropriate business sub type
6. Tax Obligations include:
- Income Tax Company – This is a compulsory tax obligation for purposes of declaring any income earned within a stipulated period of time.
- Pay As you Earn – If you are an employer, you are required to register for this obligation.
- Value Added Tax – Any person supplying or who expects to supply taxable goods and taxable services with a value of Kshs 5 Million or more in a year qualifies to register for VAT. The law also allows for voluntary registration.
7. Select your ‘Source of income’ if any and provide necessary details under source selected
8. If you have a tax agent, you are required to enter their details in the agent details section.
9. Fill in correct answer to arithmetic sum provided and click on ‘Submit’
10. Ensure you input at least 1 PIN of the company director(s) to will be used for the initiation process. Always ensure the directors details are tax compliant and is on iTax.
You will receive an acknowledgment receipt on completion of the online application.
A follow up email will be sent to you with either further instructions on where to present the required documentation for verification or a PIN certificate.
What documents should a Society submit while applying for PIN?
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation
- Copy of CR12
- Copy of Memorandum and Article of Association (optional)
- Copy of PIN Certificate for one of the company’s directors
- Copy of Tax Compliance certificate of one of the company’s directors
- Copy of the Acknowledgement receipt
ALSO READ: How to Reset KRA iTax Password