A governor is responsible for managing resources allocated to the county by the national government.
A county governor in Kenya is elected by the voters registered in the county, on the same day as a general election of Members of Parliament. Each candidate for the governor’s position is required to nominate a candidate for deputy governor. He or she must be a degree holder from a recognized university.
Main Functions Of a County Governor in Kenya
1. Implement both National and County Legislation
As the chief executive at the county level, the Governor is tasked with leading the adherence and implementation of the Constitution and other national legislation and also implementing County legislation.
2. Raise money for the County by:
- Understanding finance and taxation laws
- Efficiently collecting taxes
- Borrowing loans from both local and international financial institutions
- Negotiate and receive local and international aid
- Negotiate fair prices for agricultural produce, minerals and other resources generated in the
- Motivate and empower locals to invest in trade
- Understanding, and adhering to foreign investment policy and laws in the county
- Complying with international trade laws that Kenya has committed to
Representing county interests in the formulation or review of Kenya’s position in the formulation of international trade agreements
3. Use public funds responsibly
4. Ensure that the County is not poor
As the County’s Chief Executive to whom all County Executives and County public Service reports to, the Governor has a duty to:-
- Equitably deliver adequate, quality and timely services to the people: Ensure that the county meets international minimum standards on access to human rights such as water, education, healthcare, housing, the right to work, the right to development and other rights that contribute to poverty reduction.
- Ensure the county is food secure by implementing national policies on agriculture, livestock development and land and natural resource development that ensure that the county is food secure.
- Contribute to controlling national inflation by ensuring that the county exports more than it imports.
- Create employment by innovatively and sustainably exploiting the county’s resources, while ensuring compliance with national trade and labour laws and international commitments
- Invest in research, innovation, technology and other infrastructure that upscale\ local, practical ideas on wealth creation
- Reduce the gap between rich and poor
5. Represent the County at National Level
The Governor has a duty to:
- Attend meetings of The Summit (between the President and all 47 Governors)
- Represent county interests to the National Executive. This includes relaying the peoples’ complaints about poor service delivery by the National Government on functions national government is performing within the County.
6. Perform any functions of the National Government transferred to County level.
- Performing State functions assigned by the President following mutual consultation
- Negotiating for or a transfer of functions and funds from National Government to County Government if the function or power would be more effectively performed or exercised by the County Government and its transfer is not prohibited by any law.
7. Ensure the County is Secure
8. Lead the county in implementing and reporting on compliance with human rights, democratic principles and commitments under international law
9. Provide the county assembly with full and regular reports on matters relating to the county, including an annual progress report on the implementation of County plans.
10. Appoint professional and competent County Executive Committee members from among people who are not members of the County assembly; with the approval of the County Assembly.
11. Ensure that the County Executive Committee members do not exceed one-third of the total number of the County Assembly and adhere to laws, values and principles of public service.
12. Supervise and motivate County Public Service
13. Identify a competent Deputy Governor. A Governor cannot fire his deputy.
14. Assent Bills; Publish County Gazette
Consider, approve and assent bills passed by the County Assembly into law and publish the County Gazette Notice of all policy decisions formally made by the County Executive Committee or Governor.
15. Ensure that the County is economically viable and competitive in local and international trade and relations.