An MCA is an elected representative in charge of a Ward. He/she represents Ward residents at the County Assembly.
- Must have been a Kenyan citizen for at least 10 years before the election;
- Must be a registered voter;
- Must not owe allegiance to a foreign state;
- Is nominated by a Political Party or is an independent candidate;
- Must meet the statutory moral and ethical requirements under the Leadership and Integrity Act;
- Must not be a public officer or acting in any State of public office other than a Member of the County Assembly;
- Must not hold dual citizenship unless citizenship of the other country has been obtained by operation of law without capacity to opt out;
- Must not be an undischarged bankrupt;
- Must not be a person of unsound mind;
- Must not be subject to a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months from the date of registration of candidates or date of elections;
- Must not have been found to have abused or misused state or public office or contravened Chapter Six of the Constitution; and
- Must not have been dismissed or removed from public office for contravening the provisions of Articles 75, 76, 77 and 78 of the Constitution
- Nomination fees in a Banker’s Cheque payable to IEBC:
- 5,000 for candidates.
- 2,500 for a candidate who is a youth, a woman or a person with a disability.
The Candidate must submit the following documents to the Commission during the Commission Nomination:
- A copy of a National Identity Card/valid Passport (the document used by the candidate to register as a voter)
- A Passport size photograph with white background submitted in electronic and printed copy.
- If a Party Candidate, a Nomination Certificate from a fully registered political party nominating the candidate, duly signed by an authorized official of the party
- A duly signed and dated Code of Conduct (Second Schedule of the Elections Act, 2011)
- A duly filled Commission Nomination Form, including an original Statutory Declaration Form for purposes of nomination (Regulation 18(3) Elections (General) Regulations, 2012) and an original Self-Declaration Form (Regulation 46 of Elections (General) Regulations, 2012)
For an Independent Candidate
- A Clearance Certificate from the Registrar of Political Parties certifying that the person was not a member of any political party for the last 3 months before the elections; (Regulation 15(a) (General) Regulations, 2012.
- An electronic and printed copy of a list of at least 500 supporters in the prescribed form, submitted to the Commission.
- A duly filled Form of Intention to Contest submitted to the Commission in the prescribed form.
- A symbol the candidate intends to use during the election, which has been approved by the Commission.
- Establish and maintain a functioning office in the respective electoral area where the candidate is contesting, which must be available for inspection by the Commission at least 45 days before the elections. The address, including the physical address of the office must be communicated to the Commission
8 thoughts on “Qualifications and Requirements for Member of County Assembly (MCA) in Kenya”
hello there annd thank yyou foor your inmfo – I have certainly picxked uup something new from riht
here. I diid however xpertise severral technical poings usig
tis site, as I experienced too rreload thee web site a lot of times previous to I cokuld
get iit to load properly. I had een wondeing if your web
hostiing is OK? Nott that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times wikll sometimrs affec your placment iin google and ccan damage your highh quality score iif advertising aand markleting with Adwords.
Welll I’m adding thyis RSS to mmy e-mail and coujld look outt for a lot more of our respectivee intriguin content.
Make sure you update this agsin veryy soon.
I aam curious to find out wat bog system youu are using?
I’m experiencing some minorr security problems wiith my
latest sitre aand I would like to find sokething moree secure.
Do you havce any recommendations?
I’m gone too inform my liittle brother,
that he should also ggo to see this weblg on regular bawsis to take updated freom latest nesws update.
Rigbt here is the percect site for eeryone who hoppes to understand this topic.
Yoou understand a whole loot itts almost ard to argue with you (not that I actually
will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin oon a subject that’s been wriitten abnout for decades.
Wonderul stuff, just wonderful!
Thahks for sharing your thoughys onn 8710.
Helllo there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web sit before bbut
aftr loking aat a few oof the posts I realized it’s
new to me. Anyways, I’m dfinitely pleased I iscovered it
annd I’ll be book-marking it and checking back regularly!
Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?
hello!,I love your writng so so much! proportion we keep in touch more
approximately your post on AOL? I need ann expert in thhis area to resoilve my problem.
Maybe that’s you! Taking a look ahead to pwer you.