Each political party participating in the General elections is required to nominate and submit a list of all persons who would stand elected if the party were to be entitled to seats provided under Article 90 within the time prescribed by national legislation.
IEBC states that political parties’ nomination lists for elective positions in the Senate and National Assembly should comply with the two-third gender rule before they are accepted by the commission for candidates’ registration.
Qualifications for Nominees of Party Lists under Articles 97(1) (c) and 98 (1) (b), (c) and (d), and for the members of county assemblies under Article 177 (1) (b) and (c)
- Nominees to the National Assembly –
- Nominees to the Senate
- Youth Nominees to the Senate
- Persons with Disability Nominees to the Senate
- Marginalized Group Nominees to the County Assembly
- Gender Special Seats Nominees to the County Assembly (For Gender Top Up)
- Must have been a Kenyan citizen for at least 10 years before the election;
- Must be a registered voter;
- Must not owe allegiance to a foreign state;
- Certification of Disability from the relevant institution as prescribed by the Commission;
- Must meet the statutory moral and ethical requirements under the Leadership and Integrity Act;
- Must not be a public officer or acting in any State of public office other than a Member of the County Assembly or National Assembly as the case may be.
- Must not hold dual citizenship unless citizenship of the other country has been obtained by operation of law without capacity to opt out;
- Must not be an undischarged bankrupt;
- Must not be a person of unsound mind;
- Must not be subject to a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months from the date of registration of candidates or date of elections;
- Must not have been found to have abused or misused state or public office or contravened Chapter Six of the Constitution; and
- Must not have been dismissed or removed from public office for contravening the provisions of Articles 75, 76, 77 and 78 of the Constitution
A Political Party must submit the following documents to the Commission during the date set for delivery of party lists to the Commission:
- Party Lists containing nominees appointed in accordance with Articles 97(1)(c), 98(1)(b), (c) and 177(1)(c) and (c) of the Constitution in the manner prescribed by the Commission and by authorized signatories of the nominating Political Party.
- Duly signed copies of Letters of Acceptance executed by the Nominees.